Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News
College Soccer


November 9, 2012
Last minute goals fells Marquette 2-1.

By Charles Cuttone
Executive Editor

Marquette's Adam Lysak scored the equalizer early in the second half, but Georgetown came back to win in overtime.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
CHESTER, Pa.----Brandon Allen scored a golden goal in the final minute of overtime, giving Georgetown a 2-1 win over Marquette in the first semi final of the Big East Championship at PPL Park Friday night.

The goal came off a corner kick with just 59 seconds left in the second overtime. Steve Neumann played a corner kick from the near side, Tommy Mueller flicked it on and Allen was positioned perfectly in front of the Golden Eagles net to tap it in.

“A very good service was flicked on for the tap in.” said Marquette goalkeeper Charlie Lyons.

The fourth ranked Hoyas will take on the winner of the second game between Notre Dame and Connecticut on Sunday at noon in the final.

Both teams were fairly evenly matched throughout, with Georgetown holding a slight 20-17 edge in shots over the 10th ranked Golden Eagles.

“What a great college game they were a part, of, that we were a part of,” said Marquette coach Louis Bennett. “It would have been awful if it had gone to penalties.”

Georgetown took the lead just before the stroke of halftime. After as nice buildup Jimmy Nealis sent a ball from the left side to the Steve Neumann at the right side of the box. From the edge of the 18, Neumann sent the ball across the face of the goal. It took a carom of the left post before settling into the net in the 45th minute.

The Golden Eagles got the equalizer in the 57th minute. Lysak made a run down the left side and slipped the ball off to Bryan Ciesiulka and then continued his run into the area. Lysak got the ball back and neatly finished past Hoyas goalkeeper Tomas Gomez.

Both teams created some chances in the first half, though neither goalkeeper was severely tested. Perhaps feeling the waters, Ciesiulka fired a 30 yard shot in the fourth minute that went right to Gomez.

In the eighth minute, Marquette’s Andy Huftalin also tried from a 20 yard distance, this time sending Gomez diving to make a save.

In the 71st minute, Georgetown’s Brandon Allen got in on a breakaway, but sent his shot into the outside left side of the netting.

After a corner kick in the 78th minute, Marquette’s Eric Pothast headed the ball downward, but Gomez grabbed it easily.

Neumann had a chance to set up the winner in the 80th minute, bringing the ball down to the right edge of the penalty area. Marquette goalkeeper Charlie Lyon came off his line, as the ball went across the area, but there was no Hoya on the receiving end of the ball.

Just as the whistle signaling the end of regulation was about to blow, the Hoya’s Ian Christianson blasted a shot from the right side, that squarely hit the cross bar at the upper right corner.

Marquette had a Golden Chance in the 106th minute when Ciesiulka teed up a 30 yard free kick, but his powerful shot didn’t have much movement on it and was snagged by Gomez.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2014 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC All Rights Reserved